Best Graffiti
Graffiti Art
Luxury Graffiti

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reaching for the Stars with Casey Kasem and Teddy Roosevelt


I grew up listening to Casey Kasem's weekly radio broadcast of "America's Top 40," even after my musical taste evolved and I began to broaden my horizons by listening to music by artists that did not often top or even enter the charts--usually the music was labeled "alternative" and could be found on radio stations on the left of the dial. The show aired on Sunday mornings where I grew up and I remember bringing my transistor radio--it was hot pink and fabulous--with me to the beach to listen during the summer months. Kasem ended each broadcast with this message for listeners: "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." I loved that. During a recent visit to Teddy Roosevelt's childhood home in NY, I found the quote that must have been his inspiration (pictured above).

Below, a tape of Kasem's last broadcast and the song that popped into my head when I began to write this post: "Left of the Dial" by the Replacements.





No comments:

Post a Comment