Best Graffiti
Graffiti Art
Luxury Graffiti

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DIY Deodorant: Sweeter Sweat

There's a new post on Grist's website about natural deodorants, just in time for the warmer (and sweatier) days of spring and summer. When I green-cleaned my bathroom a few years ago, nasty antiperspirants were the first things to go. A bit of research into the chemicals found in most commercial brands of antiperspirant deodorants and I was scared enough to stop swiping those sticks under my pits. (As always, I relied on The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database to find out about the safety of beauty and personal care products.) Grist's "Ask Umbra" video spot has a succinct answer to the question of why you should avoid most of these deodorants and it also reveals that Crystal deodorant is the most effective of the products they tested. I concur completely, but I've also worked some hocus-pocus with natural pantry ingredients to make an even better version. My DIY deodorant contains Crystal deodorant in liquid form with baking soda, corn starch, coconut oil, and a drop or two of essential oil (I've used lemon and tangerine). I add ½ teaspoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of corn starch, 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, and a couple of drops of essential oil to the spray bottle and shake before each use.

No comments:

Post a Comment