Best Graffiti
Graffiti Art
Luxury Graffiti

Monday, October 19, 2009

Rethinking Pink: Petitioning Estee Lauder


I've made a rule about keeping toxins out of my makeup bag and use every opportunity I get to encourage others to choose beauty products made without toxic chemicals. "That's bad for you" is never a message I like to deliver, but I delight in the fact that I can suggest better-for-you products and I usually end my sermon with the recommendation to visit the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website for more info and the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep website for ratings of products. We're deep in October and I find myself wanting to grab a megaphone, as I spot cosmetics and personal care products that contain carcinogens--on the shelves being marketed for Breast Cancer Awareness month. Slapping a pink ribbon on a product is not enough. Estee Lauder has a big campaign each year to raise money and awareness for the cause and I cheer those efforts, but it's time they started making safer products. Lauder owns Origins and Aveda, two companies that make products with less-toxic ingredients, but the their other lines (MAC, Clinique...) don't deserve to be pink-ribboned. What you can do: sign a petition asking them to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment