Best Graffiti
Graffiti Art
Luxury Graffiti

Friday, May 14, 2010

Summer Beauty: Lipstick with SPF



I'm fine going without makeup, but I always like something on my lips. It can be straight-up shea butter for a bit of moisture, but I generally go for something with a little color (or a lot--sometimes an occasion calls for smokin' hot red). This serves me well during summer or long stretches outdoors any time of the year, as lips need sun protection just like the rest of our exposed parts.

Before choosing any personal care product, I first consult the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep website, which rates products for safety and lists their ingredients. (Don't know the site? Get to it. You know you end up ingesting most of your lipstick, so it's really in your best interest to know what's inside the tube.)

The group puts out an annual report on the safety of sun protection products, including a listing of sun balms with SPF. The best-rated lipstick (3 out of 10, on a scale that deems 0 harmless and 10 hazardous) is from Jane Iredale, a line that produces makeup without the nasty chemicals found in so many other brands. The company is also a signer of the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, having pledged to meet the guidelines set by the non-profit group.

I try to choose only products with 0-2 scores but can live with a 3 for some pretty lip color. My new spring/summer color is Jane Iredale's PureMoist Lipcolour SPF18 in C.J. Like most lipsticks, it looks darker in the tube than it does on your lips. This one is pink with a hint of coral and reminds me of that pinkish, sherbert-like color you see in a sunset, like the clouds behind the palm trees in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment